Monday, December 14, 2009

Serving the Homeless

This past Thursday I went out with the Homeless group to the park on Mission Inn Blvd. to hand out to-go meals. I wanted to go all semester but never had the time available. I love working with homeless, but do not have many opportunities available because of my busy schedule. My group started talking to a man, but he was very stand-offish. He answered our questions, but stood with his arms crossed and looked away. The second I said I was from Bakersfield his eyes lit up and we started talking. We started talking about Bakersfield and the places in town we both were familiar with. He then said he had family in Palmdale and I did too. He opened up and told us about his daughter and how he missed seeing her that day. He came down to Riverside to be closer to his daughter, but is still looking for a place to work.
He was having a bad day because he missed his daughter. The smile on his face at the end of our visit made the whole evening worth going. Even though he wasn’t having a good day, I could tell that us talking cheered him up. I am so grateful that God brought us there to bring a smile to that man’s face.