Today was one year exactly since I left Kenya; I have been thinking it all day. I miss my friends so much. I always think about the market I went to often and the people I met. I always wonder how they are doing now. I pray for them but wish I could see them one more time and formally say goodbye. I never said good bye to Jon, the guy I saw every week. I hope he is doing well and continues reading his Bible and applying what we went over.
I fell in love with the Gandy family but I have no pictures with them. Jim and Linda brought me into their family as one of their own. I cried so hard when I had to leave them. I could not imagine leaving them behind. I just wanted to sit there and hug Linda all day. Jim taught me so much without him realizing it. My camera wasn't working the last time I saw them so I have no pictures of the three of us, or with their family.
God truely blessed me over and abundantly. I always wonder if the people I worked with remember me and if my influence is there.
I spent my last full day in Kenya with my African mom, Linda. I spent the night with Becky, my African sister. Linda talked me through re-entry into the USA and let me cry on her shoulder. She told me funny stories about her family and the people she stayed in contact with who volunteered with her in Nairobi. She took me to my favorite resturant in Nairobi, the Java House; we shared desserts: rich chocolate cake and cheesecake. We picked the girls up from school and watched their basketball team play. One of our friends was on the team so we watched him play; my African brother coached the team. We already said our goodbyes and were plesantly surprised to see one another again. My roomate/sister, Jeff (brother) and I exchanged gifts over our Christmas tree that night. It was great. Becky was snappy like usual but the cat was unusually kind.
I lived with Becky on the weekends. It was so hard to walk out of her house for the last time. It was so hard to hand over the keys of my cottage, clean out my desk, and hug my deep friends and family goodbye.